Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pastor Chris

Degan dukacitanya saya maklumkan, Reverend Christopher Long, the one and only, will be moving on to KL with his family to pastor another church, passing on the baton of Grace Family Sanctuary to Reverend Victor Gonzalez and his wife Anusha.

Truthfully, I feel like I don't have much right to say much because I've only been here for a little over 10 months. Then again I look back and wonder why the heck did I want to move to Banting anyway - it was because I knew that GFS Banting was here and THE CHRIS LONG was pastoring at GFS Banting!! Oh and also because my sister was studying here and all too.

But back to the point. There are many other church members whose lives have been closely connected. intertwined and touched by Rev Chris, his flamboyant wife Sherlin Long, and his children who are bizzarely unique in their different ways - Nathanael, Tabitha and Deborah Long. These aforementioned people have practically lived their lives in Banting and grew up in the church. It will be no surprise when this Sunday, the church will be flooded with tears because everyone is oh-so-sad.

But as for me, although I doubt I will cry or anything, I have to say that I will miss them terribly. Let me desribe why.

Rev Christopher Long is so famous in almost all Malaysia and even other parts of the world including Singapore, Fiji, Indonesia, Australia, and many more. He is such a powerful speaker with a heart for the young people. He is also very, very, very, very, very funny. I remember in conferences back at Kuching where he would make everyone laugh not out of "holy laughter" but really funny jokes that is very appropriate for the young people. But in "real life" he is down-to-earth, serious but with a humourous twist.



[Pastor Chris and I]


Sister Sherlin Anita Long, is quite the opposite, I think. She is FLAMBOYANT. Definition of flamboyant from Oxford dictionary:
1. (of people or their behaviour) different, confident and exciting in a way that attracts attention.
2. bright, colourful and noticeable
All the above perfectly describes Sis Sherlin. She is always so open and loving that is like a magnet that draws everyone. She never hesitates to give a big wide smile, and great big hug and compliments that is always sincere. She brings about her an aura of constant excitement and bubbling joy that is oh-so-contagious. Yet, she is a powerful woman in her own right - she defends her faith, her children and her church like a fierce tigress. She preaches a storm althought she said she doesn't like preaching. She will leave a great big shoe for Sis Anusha to fill!!

Nathanael Long follows after his father, I think. Serious and quiet but can be surprisingly loud and noisy when he's in the right mood and with the "right" people. He doesn't pretend, that's what I like about him. He and I aren't really good friends for some undisclosed reasons, although we meet almost everyday in school and tuition, but he doesn't pretend to be friends with me. He doesn't pretend to be a good angelic boy just because his father is a pastor. He doesn't pretend not to be a dirty little boy with a dirty little mind is also very very talented musician. He plays the drums like nobody's business. Again, a big shoe for any GFS drummer to fill.

On the other hand, Tabitha Long is quite like her mother. She is very sociable and talkative, likes to tease people and doesn't mind being teased back. She makes newcomers feel so welcomed. She doesn't hold back. No, none of them every holds back in giving to God and to people. Oh and she confessed to me that she liked me but two weeks later got a new crush hahaha...

Deborah Long... is a funny little girl who loves to play hide a seek.


[Deborah, Tabi and I]


[Rev Victor, Anusha, Tabi and I]


Anyway, I pray that God will bless the family and keep them safe wherever they go, and that Rev Chris' ministry will increase and multiply hundredfold. They will indeed be sorely missed!! They leave a legacy behind - a legacy of love, honour and complete worship to God that GFS Banting will live by and cherish. God bless you.

0 comments: